Friday, May 15, 2009

Election reflections--Star-Telegram 5-15-09

I want to express my deepest thanks to my supporters and friends for their vote of confidence. It is a humbling experience to run for public office and have others believe in you, your vision, passion and desire to serve your city and community.

I also want to commend them for being among the 6.39 percent of Fort Worth residents who took the time to exercise their right to vote and have a voice in their government. It is a sad commentary on our society that this most precious right is ignored and dismissed by the remaining 93.61 percent.

I want to thank the people I met at the forums and as I took my campaign door-to-door in the neighborhoods of District 3. I had the opportunity to share my vision but, more importantly, to hear your concerns and ideas. I think I speak for all of the candidates in this race when I say hearing from you is what drove our spirit to the next door and the next person we hoped to represent and serve.

I am proud of the campaign we ran. All the candidates in District 3, although different in many ways in their basic ideology, remained respectful. I may have lost this race but I am so honored and proud of the 403 who believed in me with their votes.

— Gary Hogan, Fort Worth